For all the travel junkies planning a getaway to Vijayawada, read on to know what all I discovered on my weekend trip to Vijayawada.
The summer is at its peak and the temperatures are soaring in Bangalore. I was looking for an escape from the busy city life and the intense heat, so after doing my research and checking the flight fares – because I was on a budget; I decided to take a weekend trip to Vijayawada and booked Bangalore to Vijayawada flights at low costs.
Situated on the banks of the River Krishna is the beautiful city of Vijayawada. It offers many options to explore the city – from religious spots to wildlife and nature parks to architectural glory. This city provides travellers with the best of both worlds i.e. the old town which displays the rich history and the cultural past and the new town which allows travellers to experience the modern lifestyle.
So, here is what I discovered in this beautiful city on my weekend trip:
- Being a shopaholic, I decided to explore Besant Road first as it is one of the best places in Vijayawada to shop and treat your taste buds. I explored the cheap flea markets. MG Road and the Kondapalli are also popular shopping spots. Kalamkari paintings and Mangalagiri sarees are a must buy. Vijayawada is also popular for its variety of pearls and semi-precious stones. So, if you are fond of jewellery, take your time and explore the shops before making any purchase.
- Besant Road is also the home to some of the most modern multi-cuisine eateries. This dynamic street depicts the spirit of the city and is an absolute must visit!
- I always make it a point to visit at least one museum on all of my trips so I visited the famous Victoria Museum in Vijayawada. Walking through the museum and looking at the paintings, sculptures, cutlery, weapons, etc. took me back in time. I took a few pictures with the Buddha statue which is a perfect spot for a memorable picture!
- Kolleru Lake is one of the most beautiful places in Vijayawada and the largest freshwater lake in India. Almost two lakh migratory birds from across the world visit the lake during peak season. With gorgeous views and bird watching, this is an ideal spot for those who love being close to nature.
- If you are looking to spend some alone time with your thoughts away from the hustle bustle of the city, then you must visit The Rajiv Gandhi Park. A park with beautiful flowers and lush greenery all around, the park also houses a mini zoo. I left the park feeling rejuvenated after a long walk.
- You must always visit and see the religious life of the local people, hence visiting Kanaka Durga Temple was on the list. This temple is located along the banks of the River Krishna and also surrounded by the picturesque Indrakiladri hills. This holy shrine is dedicated to Goddess Durga and is built in Dravidian style. One of the best ways to explore the architecture of any city is by visiting its temples.
- Bhavani Island is the perfect spot for those who are looking for some leisure time. This island covers about 130 acres of land and ideal for nature lovers but also offers several activities like swimming and other water sports along with finger licking food served at the restaurants.
- Two restaurants you must eat at are Minerva Coffee Shop and Arya Bhavan. Minerva Coffee Shop has really delicious thalis with Andhra flavours to it and Arya Bhavan offers South Indian breakfast which is an absolute must-have if you are travelling to the South.
- The Gandhi Hill, named after the father of our nation, is the first huge stupa dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi. There are also six more subsidiary shrines dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi. The walls of this stupa are beautifully inscribed with the teachings of Gandhi. The memorial holds and light and sound show every evening which talks about the life of Mahatma Gandhi.
You must add Vijayawada to your list of places to travel; we promise you won’t regret it! So, make sure you book your Bangalore to Vijayawada tickets at low cost and have an experience of a lifetime!